Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Break Plans

Thanksgiving break officially starts Friday, and I’m more than ready for it — even if mine won’t actually begin until Monday. While most students are packing up and heading home as soon as classes end, I’ll still be on campus for the weekend because of work. It’s not ideal, but I keep reminding myself that a few extra shifts now means more spending money later, especially with a busy week ahead.

My break really kicks off Monday afternoon when I finally hit the road for Toledo. Before I get there, though, I’m making a much-needed stop in Bowling Green to get my nails done. It has become a little ritual to start every holiday break with a fresh set, and after the past few weeks of exams and projects, the timing couldn’t be better.

Tuesday night is reserved for one of my favorite traditions: watching the “Dancing With the Stars” finale at my best friend Claire’s house. We’ve been doing this for years, and no matter how hectic life gets, we always find time to sit on her couch, argue over who should win and judge each dance. It never fails to feel like the real start of the holiday season.

On Wednesday, I somehow managed to convince my mom to take the day off work so we can spend it together. We don’t even have a set plan — just a full day of hanging out, running errands, talking and enjoying the rare chance to slow down. That night, I’ll meet up with all my friends from home, as everyone trickles back into town. It’s the one night of the year when it feels like nothing has changed, even though everything has.

Thursday, of course, is Thanksgiving, which speaks for itself: food, family and a well-deserved nap.

Friday brings another tradition — a sleepover with my childhood friend group. We don’t see each other as often anymore, but every Thanksgiving break we fall right back into old habits like no time has passed. Then Saturday is reserved for celebrating my friend Morgan’s 22nd birthday, which is sure to be the perfect ending to a packed, but much-needed, break.

By the time Sunday rolls around, I’ll probably be exhausted — but definitely grateful.

Comments

  1. I love this tradition you have with your childhood friend group!! I hope you had a great break :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October Rush

How is it already Oct. 23? It feels like October just began, and now I’m getting ready for Halloween. I love that time seems to be moving quickly, but with that comes the reality of senior year stress. Right now, I’m deep in the middle of several big projects across all of my classes. Between Capstone, semester-long assignments and client work, every week feels packed. There’s always something due or something that needs my attention, and sometimes it feels overwhelming trying to keep it all straight. Still, I remind myself that this busy season won’t last forever. In just a few more weeks, many of these projects will start wrapping up. I keep telling myself that if I can just push through this stretch, things will start to feel lighter. It helps to remember that once Thanksgiving break hits, the hardest part of the semester will be behind me. By then, I’ll hopefully be on autopilot, coasting into the end of the semester with a little less stress and a lot more relief. What’s kee...

The Social Dilemma

                 The Social Dilemma serves as a wake-up call about the perils of social media. The film shines a light on how these platforms, driven by a relentless pursuit of user engagement and data monetization, have become powerful tools for manipulation, addiction and the amplification of harmful content. It forces us to grapple with the unsettling reality that our digital lives are shaped more by algorithms than our own free will. The testimonies of former tech insiders reveal the industry's calculated strategies to hijack our attention, exploit our psychological vulnerabilities and sow division for profit. As we become increasingly entangled in these digital webs, The Social Dilemma urges us to critically examine our relationship with social media and demand greater transparency, accountability and ethical practices from these influential corporations. The film serves as a call for individuals, policymakers and tech leaders to co...

Move-Out Stress

              As the semester winds down, I can't help but feel a sense of relief washing over me. I've nearly completed all of my major assignments for the semester, and it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of endless papers, presentations, and projects, but I know it won’t be long before I won’t have to think about school anymore – or for a few months at least. However, just as the stresses of school have left my mind, I find myself with a new worry. I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get all of my stuff home. As I look around my room, I constantly think to myself, “This is not going to all fit in my car.” I am more worried about the bigger things, such as my fridge, my chair, and my TV. But, luckily, my brother lives in Ada so I am hoping I can just leave those things at his house until the weekend following move-out, since my family will be here for his graduation. Even b...