Skip to main content

Martini Monday

This past Monday was my friend Libby’s 22nd birthday, and like any good friend with a serious case of FOMO, I wasn’t about to miss it. I met Libby last summer through mutual friends, and we immediately clicked. We kept discovering more and more shared connections, the kind that make you wonder how your paths hadn’t crossed years ago.

Libby works as a nail technician in Bowling Green, and once I met her, she quickly became my go-to nail tech. She’s talented, creative and consistently delivers the best sets I’ve ever had. So when she invited me to join her and a few others for dinner and drinks to celebrate, I already knew I was saying yes—even if it meant a long night. I had work Monday morning, then had to drive to Perrysburg for the celebration, and afterward make the late trip back to Ada because I had class early Tuesday. Still, the fear of missing out won, as usual.

We went to Bar Louie at Levis Commons, one of my favorite spots for happy hour. I decided to try a new drink, the s’mores martini, and it instantly became the best martini I’ve ever had. It tasted just like the name suggests and even looked adorable, topped with the perfect toasted marshmallow.

While we were there, I met a girl whose boyfriend happens to be friends with someone I know at Ohio Northern University. This was especially interesting because my roommate and I have been trying to figure out what happened between that person and their ex. We’re admittedly nosey, but we own it.

And yes—she told me everything. I won’t spill anyone’s business publicly, but just know my roommate and I were right all along. I’m starting to think one of my hidden talents is getting information out of people. It’s practically an art form.

If you ever need to uncover a little harmless tea, my method is simple:

  1. Act shocked. Pretend you know absolutely nothing, even if you’ve already heard the story twice.
  2. Ask the most invasive, intrusive question — the one everyone else tiptoes around.
  3. Immediately follow it with, “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.” This is crucial. They will answer every time.

By the end of the night, Libby had a great birthday, I had a great martini and my roommate had fresh tea waiting for her. I’d call that a successful Monday.

Comments

  1. I am glad you had a great night celebrating your friend! Your nails always look amazing. Please send me her page. Happy Birthday, Libby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October Rush

How is it already Oct. 23? It feels like October just began, and now I’m getting ready for Halloween. I love that time seems to be moving quickly, but with that comes the reality of senior year stress. Right now, I’m deep in the middle of several big projects across all of my classes. Between Capstone, semester-long assignments and client work, every week feels packed. There’s always something due or something that needs my attention, and sometimes it feels overwhelming trying to keep it all straight. Still, I remind myself that this busy season won’t last forever. In just a few more weeks, many of these projects will start wrapping up. I keep telling myself that if I can just push through this stretch, things will start to feel lighter. It helps to remember that once Thanksgiving break hits, the hardest part of the semester will be behind me. By then, I’ll hopefully be on autopilot, coasting into the end of the semester with a little less stress and a lot more relief. What’s kee...

The Social Dilemma

                 The Social Dilemma serves as a wake-up call about the perils of social media. The film shines a light on how these platforms, driven by a relentless pursuit of user engagement and data monetization, have become powerful tools for manipulation, addiction and the amplification of harmful content. It forces us to grapple with the unsettling reality that our digital lives are shaped more by algorithms than our own free will. The testimonies of former tech insiders reveal the industry's calculated strategies to hijack our attention, exploit our psychological vulnerabilities and sow division for profit. As we become increasingly entangled in these digital webs, The Social Dilemma urges us to critically examine our relationship with social media and demand greater transparency, accountability and ethical practices from these influential corporations. The film serves as a call for individuals, policymakers and tech leaders to co...

Halloweekend!

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. From the decorations to the costumes, there’s something magical about getting to be someone else for a night. In college, that excitement only grows during “Halloweekend,” when the entire campus comes alive with parties, themed events and plenty of creative costumes. Last year, my friends and I had to skip the festivities. My roo mmate’s dad got married that same weekend, so instead of celebrating, we traded costumes for formalwear and spent the weekend at the wedding. It was still fun, but it wasn’t quite the same as being on campus surrounded by pumpkins, lights and laughter. That’s why, this year—our senior year—we knew we wanted to make the most of it. It felt like our last big Halloween together before graduation, and we wanted to go all out. Two of our friends, Lilah and Ethan, attended Ohio Northern University with us freshman year but transferred after that. They live about three hours away in Indiana, so we don’t get to see ...