Finding Your Field

    As college students, I feel we have all heard people say, "Changing your major is common." or "It is not a big deal to switch majors." or anything else along those lines. Perhaps that is true for some, or even majority of people, but I personally felt this was a very stressful and nerve-racking decision to make for myself. 

    I originally came to Ohio Northern University as a psychology major and I never thought that I would change my major. I always knew I wanted to study psychology and go into that field; both the subconscious and the conscience parts of the brain and how emotions, experiences, and other factors influence human behavior/decision-making has always been very interesting to me. Even throughout high school I took many different psychology and sociology classes, and always imagined myself in that field of work. 

    By the end of the fall semester my freshman year I found myself very anxious about my future and my career once I graduated college, especially because I still knew that is what I wanted to do and I was doing well in my classes, but I did not know if it was going to be worth it after graduation. With the way technology is developing, the demand for careers in the psychology field are decreasing because now there are applications available to download, some even for free, that can connect users to different doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, etc. right on their cell phone. This not only has caused job opportunities to decrease but also income rates. Only a few years ago, certain positions in this field that had a yearly salary of $100,00 on average has already decreased to an average yearly salary of $75,000-$80,000. Also, the job options that are still making good money in this field are very scarce and limited to mainly psychological research positions rather than also positions in the clinical counseling field, due to free online therapy and counseling. There are also many other factors that can influence how much money you have the potential of earning such as location. The opportunities in this field have already been dramatically impacted and could continue to be, especially with the new development of artificial intelligence (AI).  
Copper House Designs
    
Fallen Timber Fairways
    At the moment I felt very stressed because there was never anything else I was interested in going into. Throughout my spring semester that year and that following summer I did PR, marketing, and social media work for a locally owned business in my hometown, Copper House Designs, and also for the business that I already worked for, Fallen Timbers Fairways. This gave me the opportunity to obtain first hand experience and insight into the business world and opened my eyes to different career possibilities for my future. I decided to change my major to Public Relations and while still working for these businesses I have even come to see how my previous background in psychology and what I have learned in that field has been able to help me in this one. 




Comments

Popular Posts

Social Media Impact

Is It Summer Yet?

Buhi Simternship