Skip to main content

From Blogging To Vlogging

  Throughout chapter 12 the book discusses blogs, vlogs, and podcasts. While reading this chapter I kept finding myself thinking about the evolution on influence on social media, specifically through these three channels. 

  

  For example, when blogs first started many people used them for personal use similar to social media outlets such as Instagram and Facebook to stay connected to others. While blogs are still used for this purpose, many people today that regularly use blogs are businesses or people who have already made a name for themselves in the media. Unlike some social media outlets, blogs don't have the same ability to reach mass audiences as say TikTok's 'For You' page. 

 

    As social media grew, we saw a shift from blogging to vlogging as content creators started posting on YouTube. This chapter even mentions Casey Neistat who was a very popular YouTuber, along with many other creators, due to his infamous daily vlogs. Similar to TikTokers today, YouTubers had a lot of influence on the younger generation at the time. Vlogging is still popularly used today, on TikTok or Instagram Reels different creators and even businesses will make "A Day in My Life" or "Come Along with   Me To ____" content, which is simply, in retrospect, vlogging. 

 

    Now we notice that a lot of different creators are starting Podcasts and although they have been around awhile, they have recently been gaining popularity. 
As viewers we want to be able to know these creators on a personal level and podcasts allow for constant conversation which in turn allows us to really get to know the creator. This can create loyal fanbases due to that feeling that they know the creator on a deeper level, or even think of them as one of their friends.  
 

Comments

  1. I agree with everything you said and it's almost as if people use vlogging to kickstart their career in the YouTube realm. Many people realize that their personalities are appealing and want to showcase that to gain a following of supporters. You make a good point when it comes to the "Day in the Life" vlogs. Everyone wants to see how their favorite YouTuber or TikToker go about their days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October Rush

How is it already Oct. 23? It feels like October just began, and now I’m getting ready for Halloween. I love that time seems to be moving quickly, but with that comes the reality of senior year stress. Right now, I’m deep in the middle of several big projects across all of my classes. Between Capstone, semester-long assignments and client work, every week feels packed. There’s always something due or something that needs my attention, and sometimes it feels overwhelming trying to keep it all straight. Still, I remind myself that this busy season won’t last forever. In just a few more weeks, many of these projects will start wrapping up. I keep telling myself that if I can just push through this stretch, things will start to feel lighter. It helps to remember that once Thanksgiving break hits, the hardest part of the semester will be behind me. By then, I’ll hopefully be on autopilot, coasting into the end of the semester with a little less stress and a lot more relief. What’s kee...

The Social Dilemma

                 The Social Dilemma serves as a wake-up call about the perils of social media. The film shines a light on how these platforms, driven by a relentless pursuit of user engagement and data monetization, have become powerful tools for manipulation, addiction and the amplification of harmful content. It forces us to grapple with the unsettling reality that our digital lives are shaped more by algorithms than our own free will. The testimonies of former tech insiders reveal the industry's calculated strategies to hijack our attention, exploit our psychological vulnerabilities and sow division for profit. As we become increasingly entangled in these digital webs, The Social Dilemma urges us to critically examine our relationship with social media and demand greater transparency, accountability and ethical practices from these influential corporations. The film serves as a call for individuals, policymakers and tech leaders to co...

Move-Out Stress

              As the semester winds down, I can't help but feel a sense of relief washing over me. I've nearly completed all of my major assignments for the semester, and it's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of endless papers, presentations, and projects, but I know it won’t be long before I won’t have to think about school anymore – or for a few months at least. However, just as the stresses of school have left my mind, I find myself with a new worry. I have absolutely no idea how I am going to get all of my stuff home. As I look around my room, I constantly think to myself, “This is not going to all fit in my car.” I am more worried about the bigger things, such as my fridge, my chair, and my TV. But, luckily, my brother lives in Ada so I am hoping I can just leave those things at his house until the weekend following move-out, since my family will be here for his graduation. Even b...