ONU Family

    When I came to Ohio Northern my freshman year, I didn’t know anyone. I was the only person from my school to come to ONU and the few people that are from my area I had never met before coming to college. Luckily because of social media I was able to find a roommate, but we still didn’t know much about each other before we moved in.


My roommate, Remi, and I ended up becoming very close within the first couple of days and now she is my best friend at ONU. Her and I even got matching tattoos of our freshman dorm number on our ankle. To this day, we always talk and make jokes about how we got lucky finding each other because we were both stressed about not having a roommate or having a roommate that we didn’t get along with. But in the end. our whole roommate situation could not have been more perfect. Having her made navigating freshman year, and the transition of college in general, so much easier. 

     

    A couple months into the year we met one of our neighbors, Delilah, and us three instantly became friends. Eventually our friend group grew as Delilah introduced us to her boyfriend, Ethan, and later to his roommate, Anderson. Shortly after, Remi started dating her current boyfriend, Robbie, and the six of us became best friends.

     


    We were inseparable for the rest of freshman year. On weekends we would have sleepovers by bringing Delilah’s mattress into our room and making Anderson a bed on the floor using giant Squishmallows. During the week we would all stay up until 2 a.m. laying on the floor of our tiny dorm room in Maglott Hall, watching Gossip Girl and joking around with each other. We would go home with each other on weekends to meet each other’s families and hometown friends. Somehow we even managed to convince the boys to get matching Christmas pajamas. 


    During that following summer, we all took a weekend trip to a lake house together where Delilah and Ethan told us they unfortunately weren’t coming back to ONU. We were all heartbroken to hear this, knowing it meant the rest of our college experience together wouldn’t be the same as it was freshman year. Despite this, we still had a great weekend together, making many memories. Coming to school this year was weird, not having them always around, but our friendship has not changed. They come to visit occasionally on the weekends and we are all just as close as we were last year, even if we aren’t always together. I will forever be grateful to ONU for giving me these life-long friendships. 

Comments

  1. I can very much relate to not knowing anyone coming to ONU. It was definitely scary and new at first, but it feels so much better not having to worry about it anymore. I was lucky enough to get some automatic friends from baseball, so your situation was probably more difficult. It was definitely hard to make the decision to come here knowing that no one else you knew was coming. I'm sure you felt the same, but at least it's worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Social Media Impact

Is It Summer Yet?

Buhi Simternship