Facebook Finds

While reading Chapter 4, Marketing with Facebook, there were pieces of information that stuck out to me and surprised me regarding the platform. I am aware that Facebook has been around for quite some time, as it was one of the first widely used social media platforms created, and has continuously grown since being founded. However, considering the rapid growth in popularity of other social media outlets over recent years, such as TikTok and Instagram, I found it shocking that Facebook is the largest and most used platform. 

The main reason I found this surprising was due to the fact that other apps allow creators the possibility to create careers off of their followers and can obtain a platform within the network (e.g. Instagram models and TikTok influencers). Whereas accounts with larger followings on Facebook are typically companies/brands who have already established a name in the public's eye. It is not common to see an individual "blow up" on Facebook the same way we often see it happen on TikTok or Instagram. 

Along with Facebook being the largest platform, I was also caught off guard by the fact that its primary audience demographic consists of males and the largest age range is 25-34-year-olds. Although I know Facebook Marketplace is definitely popular amongst men, I would have thought the demographic was comprised of primarily females. The people I know of who are most active on Facebook are typically mothers and older generations. My mom, as well as most of my friends' moms, are who I always see posting on the app, updating friends and family about their children, activities they do and simply their life in general. Older generations also are on Facebook above all other platforms because they typically do not want to take the time to set up accounts and to learn how to maneuver through new platforms, it is easier for them to simply stick to the one that they are used to. On the other end of the scale, younger generations are more prone to acquiescing new platforms as they arise. The interest in what the app is/can do and the want of being included socially in society outweighs factors that might deter younger people from trying new trends, such as new social media outlets. 


Comments

Popular Posts

Social Media Impact

Is It Summer Yet?

Buhi Simternship