Not-So-Little Leon

Being at school obviously makes me miss my family and friends, however, I always miss my nephew, Leon, especially. Technically, Leon is not my nephew, and we aren't related by blood, but he is my best friend's son. Emily and I have been best friends since high school and have always been there for each other, except for one period during Junior year we refer to as 'The Lost Year' and we didn't like each other but that's beside the point. Despite that, I have known Leon since he was a newborn and over the past couple years since he was born, I have always thought of and treated him as if he was my real nephew. 

Emily and I have a relationship that is more similar to a sisterhood than a friendship. Beyond my relationship with her son, I have relationships with all of her family members including her parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. and vice versa, she is considered family within my family. I go on their family vacations, attend family holiday parties and was even in the family photos they had gotten done last year. Emily and I always joke about how if we were to get into a fight or stop being friends (which we couldn't even imagine happening in the first place), it wouldn't last long because we would still show up to each other's family events. 

Although I miss the whole family it seems like Leon has grown so much when I do see him. Last year it was especially crazy to see him being able to talk and speak full sentences when he was still speaking gibberish when I had first left. I swear he grows more when I am gone. It is wild to think about a time before he was born, or even to think about when he was an infant. I remember a time when we had to do quite literally everything for him because he was just a baby, and now he is a toddler who will just walk away and grab whatever he wants or walk into the room and ask what we are talking about. It is mind-boggling to think of how much he has and will continue to grow but I'm thankful I was given the chance to be a part of his life. 

Comments

  1. This is such a relatable post! I also miss my family when I am away from home and feel like that is when all of the changes happen. I also have a "daughter" that I have been babysitting since she was a week old and every time I go home she asks me why I have to leave or when I will be back. Time sure does fly and I can't believe she is a first grader already!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Social Media Impact

Is It Summer Yet?

Buhi Simternship