Snapchat

             Snapchat is a fun and interactive social media platform where users can send ‘snaps’, which are pictures that you can set a time limit for how long they are viewed, back and forth with one another. That’s not all though! Snapchat had added many features to the app since it was first launched in 2011 as ‘Picaboo’ and then revamped a few months after into what we know it as today. The platform allows users to post ‘snaps’ to their story that disappear after 24 hours, video chat and call with other users, play around with live filters, create group-chats, save snaps to your memories for later, and more. 

The platform has over 750 million monthly active users, is the 10th most popular social media platform, and has generated $4.6 billion in ad revenue. Its customer base is primary female, making up 51% while males account for 49% of the user population. The daily average for the app is only 21 minutes which surprised me at first because I would have assumed people spent more time scrolling through stories. But, thinking about it many people I know really only go on the app to snap others back and do their aimless scrolling on Instagram or TikTok.

Personally, Snapchat is one of my most used social media platforms. I snap back and forth with a lot of my friends, especially those in my hometown. It is a nice way for me to stay connected with them throughout the day, even if we may not have much to actually talk about at the moment. The primary feature I use is posting on my private stories, however – which I definitely do too much.

One of my private stories is called ‘chatterbox.com’ and all I do is yap on this story. Between coworkers, childhood friends, high school friends, and college friends I have many different friend groups. So, I have all my closest friends on this one story where I can update them on my life all at once instead of telling everyone the same thing separately. I’ll rant about random things; tell stories; spill any tea I might have – It’s more of a public service, really. It originally started because I just like to talk, but then they told me it felt like a facetime call so that’s basically what it turned in to.

Comments

Popular Posts

Social Media Impact

Is It Summer Yet?

Buhi Simternship